Pages

Custom Search

Friday, September 24, 2010

One row for each extension.

I've recently replaced the company's telephone systems, I have to meet the needs of my staff. I wish I could say it was to meet the needs of our customers, but unfortunately, this is not the case. You can see, our old telephone system had many extensions more we had lines for. It was constructed with the assumption that inter-office communications could be used more incoming and outgoing calls. Since my company focuses on the business of the internet and not much done transactions by telephone, the system I put in place at the end of the 1990s worked us well until very recently. Later, I had vendors that were traditionally met me by phone send me emails. They were complaining that it is often impossible to me. I have examined the case, and that is what I found... Most of my employees were spending a lot of time talking on the phone. They were not talking about vendors, customers, suppliers or other business entities. Instead, they were using the phone for personal reasons.

Do not get me wrong, that I am not the type of boss who believe that it is never acceptable to talk on the phone. I understand that during the day, things are inevitably linked to mount that require attention an employees. We've all been there. Perhaps a child is ill or the car in the store in need of repairs. I understand that these things often require the time spent on the phone. Judging from the traffic on my lines and astronomical phone invoices that I received, however, it was well beyond of what I think that any employer would consider acceptable.

So, I decided to replace the old phone system. The new system has one row for each extension, including mine, so that vendors or anyone else will be able to join at any time. Given that the new phone system also offers improved, I had scheduled in additional functionality.

Now, whenever someone makes an outbound call, they compose in their own code so that as long as they call the number and the time spent are saved. These records are matched with the phone bill and all employees are required to mark non-business related calls, they make each month. Given that calls for with their code, they cannot be said that this was not them that makes the call. Of course, they must pay for these calls. I noticed that the phone time (and my phone bills) have decreased significantly.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts